From this kit any of the 28xx class (2800 - 2883) with the full cone D4 boiler
can be built from circa 1907 to the present day.
The locomotives were built
over a period of 16 years from 1903 to 1919 under 8 Lots. As the half cone, D2,
boiler is not included in the kit the earliest authentic model that can be
constructed is one of Lot 160 that was built with the full cone, D4, boiler (No.
2822 onwards). All of the other principal variations and those detailed below
are possible using the components in the kit.
The early engines were paired with 3000 gallon
tenders of standard design. Starting with Lot 181 in 1911 3500 gallon tenders
were used and this tender subsequently became general for the class and has
remained so ever since, although some engines kept 3000 gallon tenders until
after the Great War.
Chimneys: two different types are provided.
Smokebox: originally quite short and later
front and back rings had snap head rivets.
Rear sandboxes: originally filled from
inside cab and later from circa 1915 a new pattern filled from outside.
Front sandboxes: Lot 210 had a larger
pattern and entirely different operating rods.
Cab roof: early canvas covered wood - later
steel with two designs of rainstrip.
Buffers: originally Dean taper type, later
Brake hangers: originally double type,
later cast design.
Crosshead: two different designs are
Extra boiler support: fitted to Nos. 2800 –
New cylinders: from 1934 onwards, with
outside steampipes and also involved fitting curved drop plates to some of the
Injectors: originally between frames with
pipes to top feed largely obscured later moved outside the frames and pipes
re-routed along edge of valence.
Lubricators: journal lubricators fitted
from circa 1920 onwards.
Front struts: fitted from 1908 onwards.