Introduced in 1900, the
Aberdare was a Dean design albeit with very obvious Churchward influences.
40 locomotives (2621 - 2660)
were built new with the standard number 2 boiler but were all re-boilered with
the standard number 4 boiler by 1910. The remaining locomotives (2661 - 2680 and
2601 - 2620) were built new with the standard number 4 boiler.
The kit represents a
locomotive with the number 4 boiler, the condition of all the class from
approximately 1908 until the final withdrawal in 1949.
The first locomotive 2600
(originally 33) differed from the rest of the class in its arrangement for the
pony truck compensation beams and so cannot be easily modelled using the kit.
When built, the locomotives
were fitted with standard Dean 3000 gallon tenders.
From 1929 onwards a large
proportion of the class were fitted 4000 gallon tenders of Great Central design
made redundant by the scrapping of R.O.D. 2-8-0s.