Because the outside frames of the kit have the snap head rivets half etched,
Lots 118 & 120 cannot be built in their original condition with flush frame
rivets. The early Lots can of course be built in slightly later condition as
they appear to have acquired frame strengthening plates and snap head rivets
surprisingly quickly, probably during their first major shopping.
Two boilers are provided in the kit - the D2 half-coned and the D3 three-quarter
coned. This means that Lots 118 and 120 cannot be built in their original
condition with the DO parallel boiler.
the decorative beading from the splashers and bogies was removed during the
Great War (c. 1914 - 1918).
two sizes of cut-outs are provided.
three different types are provided.
originally of the swing hanger type with shallow frames, splasher beading and
the small lower splashers. Many were replaced with deeper frames. Some were
rebuilt to 'De Glehn' type without swing hangers and fitted with strengthening
Originally fluted. Replacement rods from c.1908 onwards were of plain section.
Originally steam reverse operated by a lever attached to the right hand cab
side. Most were later rebuilt with screw reverse disclosed by the small
casing at the front of the cab on the right side.
Began in 1909. Disclosed by the lengthening of the smokebox by 9".
In most cases top feed was fitted at the same time as superheating.
early flush rivets - later snap head rivets.
early canvas covered wood - later two types of steel roof.
plated over from 1926 onwards.
put on all but 3302/9/20/34 between 1928 and 1931.
originally tall - later a shorter pattern introduced.
raised Belpaire BR4 boilers fitted to 3312 and 3328-31 when built are not
provided. After the usual transfer to other members of the class, the last of
these was removed from 3291 in 1913.
Ten engines, at one
time or another, carried domeless boilers with raised Belpaire fireboxes (type
BR0). The last of these was removed from 3278 in 1929.
From 1926 five
engines (3254/69/71/72/79) had the boiler pitch increased by 5” to accommodate a
new pattern of piston valve cylinders.