GWR City 4-4-0

 

Home
Up
Buying and price list
Loco and tender kits
EasiChas
RTR detailing kits
Etched windows
Rolling stock
Track details
Accessories
Gallery
Exhibitions
Useful sites
Contact us

The prototype of this most famous of GWR 4-4-0 classes was the 'Atbara' class engine Mauritius rebuilt with the larger Standard No. 4 boiler in September 1902. Ten new engines followed in 1903 and nine more 'Atbaras' were similarly rebuilt in 1907-9. The 'Atbaras', and hence the 'Cities' rebuilt from them, originally had Dean 'swing-hanger' bogies with shallow framing. The new 'Cities' were built with 'swing-hanger' bogies with deeper framing. All were built with steam reversing gear which was subsequently (by the early 1920's) replaced with screw reverse on most, if not all, of the class. There are many further detail differences both between individual locomotives and as the class changed through time.

When built, the 'Cities' were fitted with standard Dean 3000 gallon tenders. Subsequently some acquired Churchward 3500 gallon tenders.

The photograph on the left is of a 7mm model built and painted by Chris Wesson - the 4mm version of the kit builds up to produce a similar model.

Ref

Specification

Price

To complete

L16

Etched nickel silver frames, motion and brass superstructure

Lost wax, whitemetal and turned fittings

Flexichas suspension

Non-working, ‘dummy’ inside motion

Designed by Martin Finney

 Kit to convert to working Inside Motion - IM16

£140

 Dean 3000 gallon tender or Churchward 3500 gallon tender.

 Wheels

Driving: 6' 8½" diameter 22 spokes, outside crank- Ultrascale, Alan Gibson, Markits

Bogie: 3'8" diameter 10-spoke - Ultrascale, Alan Gibson, Markits

 Motor Designed for a Portescap 1219; alternative is a Mashima 1224
 Gearbox High Level Road Runner Plus

Download the instructions

View the etches

Variations / Modifications possible from the kit 

Chimneys: two different types provided.

Safety valve casing: with or without top-feed.

Bogies: many rebuilt to 'De Glehn' type without swing-hangers and fitted with strengthening patches - built with beaded bogie splashers.

Coupling Rods: built with fluted rods - many subsequently replaced with plain rods.

Frame strengthening: the locomotives acquired frame strengthening plates surprisingly quickly, probably during their first major shopping around 1904-1906. They were first fitted with separate plates for each axle and later larger, one piece plates were fitted to some of the class.

Smokebox: originally quite short and later front and back rings riveted.

Smokebox saddle: early flush rivets - later snap head rivets.

Sandboxes: originally below footplate for leading coupled wheels only - at around the time of the frame strengthening larger sandboxes fitted above footplate for all driving wheels.

Cab roof: early canvas covered wood - later steel - two types.

Splashers: early with beading - later beading removed and rivets visible

Leading coupled wheel splasher: Built with a beaded splasher, below the footplate, on the leading coupled axle which were gradually removed up to WW1.

Cab spectacle windows: plated over during the late 1920s.

Vacuum pipe: originally tall - later a shorter pattern introduced.

 

Copyright © 2016 Brassmasters Scale Models