frames: In original
condition the outside frames had mostly flush rivets. Soon, after visits to the
shops, snap head rivets begin to appear. From 1904 about half of the engines
received frame strengthening plates around the horns with some also acquiring
A bewildering variety - all the different
permutations are included.
Originally fluted. Replacement rods from c.1908 onwards were of plain section.
Originally of the swing hanger type with shallow frames, with splasher beading
and the small lower splashers. Many replaced with deeper frames. Some were
rebuilt to 'De Glehn' type without swing hangers and fitted with strengthening
Small footplate steps:
Eight small steps were fitted to
the platform, two in front of each splasher from an unknown date.
As shown above most were built
with a S4 boiler having a flush round top firebox. The last of these boilers was
removed from 3279 in 1917.
From 1903 new standard domed
Belpaire (type B4) boilers were fitted.
Originally copper capped without a capuchon. Soon a capuchon was fitted. At an
unknown date the chimney was moved forward. From 1920 cast iron tapered chimneys
were introduced for replacements.
Lots 97, 101, 102 & 105 were built
with very large clackboxes which are not provided in the kit. Lot 113 were built
with the smaller clackboxes supplied with the kit. Photographs suggest many of
the earlier engines were soon fitted with the smaller clackboxes. The B4 boilers
fitted from 1903 had the clackboxes fitted on the backplate inside the cab. From
1913 onwards, about half of the boilers had the boiler feed moved from the
backplate to a position in front of the dome on the top of the boiler.
The early smokeboxes had a plain front with a square front edge and ringed door.
Later snap head rivets were used and from c.1920 the smokeboxes had a pressed
front with a rounded front edge and Churchward type door without the ring.
The original cabs were very narrow and fitted with
a canvas covered wooden roof. Many of the Dukes were given large wire cabs when
first fitted with B4 Belpaire boilers, others at various times thereafter. These
wide cabs were fitted with steel roofs with two patterns of rain strip. Most of
the wide cabs had standard Churchward windows, but several had wider ‘L’ shaped
windows. The small circular windows above the firebox were blanked off after
about 1926. When fitted with standard Churchward 3500 gallon tenders from 1930
the cab side sheets were set outwards at the back.
Those not fitted with wide cabs when fitted with
B4 boilers initially retained the original low cabs. The larger firebox
necessitated the fitting of very small cab windows which clearly provided a less
than satisfactory forward view. This problem was subsequently overcome by
raising the roof of the narrow cabs to allow the fitting of larger windows. They
also received new steel roofs with two patterns of rain strip.
Cab side handrails:
The original narrow cabs had no side handrails. When the cab roofs were raised
handrails were fitted. The wide cabs had handrails in at least three different
of the decorative beading from the splashers and bogies was removed during the
Great War (c. 1914 - 1918).
Put on all but 3252/7/9/62/77 between 1930 and 1931.
Originally tall - later a shorter pattern introduced.
In their last years, a few of the
engines had their whistles removed from the cab roof to a position on top of the
firebox and some acquired a whistle shield.
Variations/Modifications not incorporated into the kit
The domed, raised Belpaire BR4
boilers fitted to 3312 and 3328-31 when built are not provided. After the usual
transfer to other members of the class the last of these was removed from 3291
Ten engines, at one time or
another, carried dome less boilers with raised Belpaire fireboxes (type BR0).
The last of these was removed from 3278 in 1929.
From 1926 five engines
(3254/69/71/72/79) had the boiler pitch increased by 5” to accommodate a new
pattern of piston valve cylinders.
Lots 97, 101, 102 & 105 were built with very small tenders of 2000 gallon
capacity. Larger 2500 gallon tenders were fitted to Lot 113. Later most were
paired with standard Dean 2500 gallon or 3000 gallon tenders. From around 1930
many of the class acquired standard Churchward 3500 gallon tenders.