Variations/Modifications incorporated into the kit
original type and double chimney fitted to most of the locomotives from
original types and later banjo dome.
Differing frame lightening hole arrangements.
The original engines were built using countersunk rivets and so give a
smooth appearance to the frames. Many photographs show a gradual change
to rivets with a visible head as frames were repaired or replaced.
The locomotives built with the swing link bogies were soon converted to
the helical spring type circa 1933-34.
Small cover fitted from 1933 onwards and larger sliding cover from 1945.
Fitted from 1935 onwards.
crown washout plugs/door covers:
Originally square ended plugs and from circa 1936 onwards circular
- Two types provided.
original type replaced with bucket seats from circa 1935 onwards.
original cut-out increased in height by
11" at the same time as bucket seats fitted.
irons - footplate: second lamp iron on right-hand side removed from
Lamp iron -
smoke box door:
two different types.
fitted to 55 of the locomotives from 1960 onwards.
Different shape depending on whether Doncaster or North British built.
Removed in the period 1952-54.