Variations/Modifications incorporated into
Plate behind coal rails:
The plates on the final 20 Doncaster-built tenders were extended to the
rear by 2’ 8".
The steps on the North British built tenders were 8’ 4" across whereas
the Doncaster built ones were 8’ 8” across.
Fire iron storage:
The original tenders were built with two brackets to enable the fire
irons to be stored on the ledge across the tender in front of the
sloping coal plate. From 1924 the front coal plate was cut away to
enable the fire irons to be stored along the side of the tender above
the coal space. It is uncertain whether or not the brackets were then retained.
Modified front end:
At the same time as the original A1 class engines were converted to left
hand drive (circa 1952-1954) the tenders were rebuilt at the front end
to suit. This involved a new design of front plate and coal gate with
the coal plate vertical. The water scoop and brake columns changed
Rear steps and handrail:
These were fitted from circa September 1953