Variations/Modifications incorporated into the kit
Nos. 4771-75 were fitted with a different design of front valve guide to the
rest of the class.
Fall plate: The original arrangement was for a fixed extension to the
cab platform to suit the fall plate, which was hinged on the tender front plate.
Starting with No. 4889 (built August 1941) the fall plate was transferred to the cab
platform and a wooden platform was provided at the front of the tender for the
fall plate to rest on. The existing engines were brought into line as they
passed through shops.
A circular access cover in the cylinder wrapper was fitted to all but the
Chimney: original type and double chimney with
Kylchap cowls fitted to 60858/62/80/81, 60902/03 between October 1960 and
Pony Truck: The engines were built with pony
trucks incorporating Gresley’s patent double swing link suspension. Starting
with No. 884 (4855) in December 1946 the pony truck was replaced with a new design
using spring side control. The whole class was fitted with new pony trucks by
Frame guard irons: The new pony trucks were longer
necessitating the removal of the frame guard irons and the clipping of
the cylinder drain cock pipes to the front steps.
Lamp iron - smoke box door: two different types.
New cylinders and outside steam pipes:
Between May 1956 and March 1962 71 engines had the original monoblock cylinder
casting replaced with three separate cylinders and outside steam pipes.