LMS unrebuilt Patriot 4-6-0

 

Home
Up
Blog
Price list and terms
Loco and tender kits
EasiChas
RTR detailing kits
Etched windows
Rolling stock
Track details
Accessories
Gallery
Exhibitions
Useful sites
Contact us

Our kit captures the distinctive appearance of the original parallel boiler Patriots and contains additional parts to build the first two non-standard engines, 45500/1

Click the pictures above to view full size and for more pictures

 

Ref

Specification

Price

To complete

L103

Etched nickel silver frames, motion and superstructure

Resin cast boiler, firebox and cylinders

Lost wax, whitemetal and turned fittings

Sprung machined axleboxes

Alternative frames and motion for Nos.5500/5501

£225

 Fowler 3500 gallon tender (three types available to cover all the Patriots)

 Wheels

 Bogie - Ultrascale 3'3½" LMS 10 Spoke bogie Fowler or Gibson G4839

 Driving- Ultrascale 6'9" LMS 21 Spoke 14"c/t c.b.s. Stanier or Gibson G4880M

 Motor  Designed for a Portescap 1624 but an alternative is a Mashima 1420
 Gearbox  High Level Road Runner or Highflyer 40:1 or 54:1

 

View etches

                                                                                Download instructions

The first two Patriots were built at Derby in November 1930, nominally as rebuilds of two LNWR Claughtons. There has been much speculation over how much of the two originals were retained other than their numbers, driving wheel centres and bogies. Almost two years later, in July 1932, the first of a batch of 15 further Claughton “replacements” emerged from Crewe followed the year after by another 25 engines, 10 from Derby and 15 from Crewe. This time the only significant link to the Claughtons they replaced were the running numbers. The final ten members of the class were produced from Crewe in early 1934 and carried numbers at the end of the new series allocated to the class.

The initial LMS allocations were to the Western Division, followed by the Midland Division with four going to the Central Division and three to Scotland. However, almost all were moved to the Western Division by 1935 and, with few exceptions, there they stayed until a batch of transfers in 1958 to the “Midland Division”. In their last two years they were relegated to secondary duties and the last unrebuilt survivors of the class finally ended up at Lancaster and Carnforth.

For your prototype information

  

Variations / Modifications possible from the kit

Cab: flush or snap-head riveted side sheets.

Draincocks: “enclosed” or “open” type.

Coupling rods: plain or fluted

Crosshead vacuum pump: fitted until mid-1930

Smoke deflectors: flat or angled.

AWS equipment: fitted to most engines in late 1950s.

Copyright © 2020 Brassmasters Scale Models