'Princess Royal' Nos. 6203 - 6212 entered service, they were coupled to the standard Stanier
4,000 gallon 9 ton tenders;
Nos. 6200 and 6201 also swapped their original
prototype flat-sided tenders for this type in early 1935.
Although the 4,000 gallon water capacity was adequate for the West Coast
was well provided with water troughs, 9 tons of coal was found to be
barely sufficient for the distances over which the engines were
regularly required to work.
Consequently, new tenders with 10 tons coal capacity were built
for all of the ‘Lizzies’ in 1936/7. The side plates were continued upwards as
far as the combined loading gauge would
permit. The sloping bunker floor was
also extended back further over the water dome, which increased the
nominal capacity to 10 tons without any significant change to the
frames and running gear. All these tenders used snap-head rivets in the
construction of the tanks and they remained with the 'Princesses' until