On the right are
two pictures of the Dapol Mogul slide bars built from the latest test
etches. There need to be some alterations to make them easier to build,
but we are happy about how they've come out. We should have the complete
replacement cylinders and slidebars finished soon too.
is a strange arrangement of the slidebars on the Dapol mogul, they are
too close together and are bent outwards at the ends, The picture on the
left shows a mock-up
of the replacement slidebars with only a single thickness of etch for
the slidebars for quickness. The production etch on the right includes an extra
layer of etch at the top and bottom to give the correct thickness and
news is that the slidebars work with our connecting rods fitted, even
with the sideplay on the 00 wheelsets. The connecting rod big end had to
be opened out to fit the Dapol crankpin so no problems there. We made
our connecting rod up out of the two etches with a thick boss added
front and back which turns out to be the same thickness as the Dapol one
(what a shame it is nearly 2mm too long). If it's washered out, it can
be done with just one etch thick. The bottom slidebar had to be filed
away, just as on the prototype, but not all the way to the front. It
will look better with the second etch on the top and bottom of the
slidebars on the fold-up version.
photograph the position of the motion bracket is slightly wrong. It
should be further to the right to line up with the one on top of the
footplate but, as it is only a trial we didn't bother moving it as it
doesn't affect the functioning.
We will then try the motion
bracket, again from one of our kits, plus fitting a new, correct length
connecting rod (C402 from our range). If successful, an etch containing
all of these parts will be made available.